Sunday, June 3, 2012

manifesto.

So here's the obligatory post about my cooking philosophy, which has not been apparent from my sugary posts heretofore. I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian, and have been so almost half my life, which is the age of consent in pretty much all countries.  I don't eat meat because I know I can't kill it or dress it.  I think it's really important to know where your meat comes from, and I grew up with that knowledge first hand.

When I think about how spectacularly my late (so sweetly, still daily beloved) brother John's plan to turn me into a sportswoman failed,  I take a moment to apologize to his voice on my shoulder.  Despite his best efforts, he only succeeded in teaching me that a) meat came from living beings b) you must kill and dress those living beings c) I can't do that.

So I don't eat it.  I'm not a perfect person by any means, but that's too big of hypocrisy.

I have no patience for people who cry over Bambi and buy ground beef under plastic in a supermarket.  

I equally have great respect for those who will eat an animal toe to tail.  I think you should HAVE to if you sign on to eating meat.  Eat some brain and tripe, and you're all right with me.

So, I do and will cook meat that's local and sustainable for other people to consume. At the same time, I cook an equivalent version with a protein I can eat, so I can test the flavors, and at the end of the day, I produce a product with flavors that translate to multiple proteins.

With very little effort, you can produce a meal that will cater to meat lovers, veggies and vegans with sides that are accessible for all- and everyone has the same flavor experience.

Fair warning: I also love the ugly vegetables.  The forgotten vegetables.  The cabbage family. I promise you'll like them when you meet them.

I call it "Cooking for a Mixed Crowd."    

Because if you can't beat them, feed them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment